I’m a MSc. student of IUB(Independent University Bangladesh) with major in computer science and engineering. My thesis topic is “A Classroom and Student Achievement Assessment Framework (CaSA) for E-Learning Technology”. My thesis objective is to implement this framework in Bangladesh at university level. After complete my thesis work a related web based elearning management system need to develop for experiment. So, one month ago I wana install Moodle to achieve this goal.
Moodle is a course management system (CMS) – a free, Open Source software package designed using sound pedagogical principles, to help educators create effective online learning communities. You can download and use it on any computer you have handy (including webhosts), yet it can scale from a single-teacher site to a University with 200,000 students. This site itself is created using Moodle, so check out the Moodle Demonstration Courses or read the latest Moodle Buzz.
I take help for installation Moodle from their site: http://docs.moodle.org/en/Installing_Moodle. I follow their instruction properly and while start installing Moodle within my Windows 2000 OS I faced some environmental settings problem given below:
*cannot find open ssl
* cannot find crul
* cannot find unicode so, u have to change database to utf8_unicode_ci
To solve those problems:
1. give username and password on database setting page
2. go to Apachi/bin folder and open php.ini file.
Find line- “; extension = php_open_ssl.dll” and remove ‘;’ sign from the line.
Find “; extension = php_curl.dll” and remove ; and save the file
3. Restart Apachi server
4.Go previous page and then click ‘next’, ur problem will solved and see now open_ssl and curl are find.
To change database charset problem ‘can’t find unicode’:
you have to set unicode to Moodle database:
1. open browser and type http://localhost/phpMyAdmin/ and press Go.
2. Go to SQL and type “ALTER DATABASE moodle DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci;” and press Go button.
3. Select database link to see moodle’s default charset.
4. Restart mysql
5. Click previous button and then click ‘next’ button.
What a pleasent surprise…………. ur all problems are solved and completed installing moodle successfully into Windows 2000.